OhThisClassroomGlows

Create, Be Curious, Learn, have Fun and GLOW

Oh The Human Rights Museum Glows

on May 26, 2016

We went to the Canadian Museum of Human Rights by school bus (Giuseppe). We found out it took 6 years to build the museum, we thought that was so cool, because some of us are six years old! (Hudson). There are 1 354 windows on the museum (Ryland). We were put into groups and together with our group we put together a Human Rights puzzle that in the end looked like the Earth (Logan). The Rights that we focused on were;

1. The Right to play
  2. The Right to have a name
  3. The Right to go to school
  4. The Right to have shelter
  5. The Right to have a family
  6. The Right to think for yourself
  7. The Right to travel
  8. The Right to eat
  9. The Right to drink
  10. The Right to have health care
  11. The Right to work
  12. The Right to speak for yourself/stand up for yourself

(Room 122 students)

We went inside a circular area and watched a video about all of the different types of Rights that should be available in any place in the World (Kevin and Jory).

There were certain notes that you could write on about,

• I’m inspired by…
  • I believe…
  • I will…
  • I imagine…

(Julia)

There was music related to Human Rights – We loved this one so much! (Levi, Meadow, Teija).

I closed my eyes and I thought about when I grow up, and I would be singing that song. I liked dancing to the music too.  (Levi).

When I was listening to it, it made me feel more of a part of Canada. It reminded me of how nice it is to be in Canada (Hudson and Teija).

They said the building is like a mountain and the windows were like all the clouds around (Harrison).

There was huge WELCOME screen where Welcome was written in many, many, many languages. (Mrs. Thomas) I didn’t know they knew Arabic, it made me feel proud and surprised to see my language. (Mira) I saw  words in my countries language (Arnav). I saw Hebrew (Jory).

Our favourite part was the Tower of Hope (Hudson). We saw the Golden Boy (Ryland). We saw the Goldeyes practicing (Luca C). I saw the church that burned down that I saw in the Winnipeg By Winnipeg book I took home (Luca M). I saw a rope from a window washer (Harrison). We saw people doing yoga (Giuseppe). The cars were tiny from up there (Kevin). I saw St.Bonifice where my mom works (Jory).

After our tour and program with our guide, we had lunch on the BIG stairs outside (Jory and Matteo). It was amazing (Anton). We ate at the Very Top of the STAIRS! (Julia)

After lunch we had an opportunity to tour around the museum on our own in groups.

Bye Bye Human Rights Museum, see you next time (Luca M)!

I would like to visit there, because I was at the dentist (Artur).

It was a wonderful experience seeing this authentic Winnipeg tourist attraction. I can’t wait to go back again and explore some more (Mrs. Thomas).

Follow us on twitter to see some more pics of when we were there (Hudson).

Written collaboratively,

All Room 122 students

20160526-155633.jpg

20160526-155648.jpg

20160526-155707.jpg

20160526-155718.jpg

20160526-155733.jpg

20160526-155744.jpg

20160526-155753.jpg

20160526-155941.jpg

8 Responses to “Oh The Human Rights Museum Glows”

1. margaret says:

haarrison,s gramma likes the pictures

2. Amber Fernie says:

It sounds like your class had a fantastic time at the museum! Thanks for sharing all your favorite parts of the field trip and the pictures. That Earth puzzle looked like lots of fun to put together!

3. Frank Chiappetta says:

It looks like everyone had a great time. Awesome pictures!!

4. Camie Lawson says:

I am thrilled that you were able to go there! Remember when we build an exhibit in Room 122 last year-musuems hold treasures, memories and stories from past to present. We are so lucky to have the HRM in our city!

Camie

5. Jessica (Jory's Mom) says:

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experience you had at the museum. I loved reading what you all saw and learned. The silly picture of your class made me laugh!!

6. Sigrid says:

I was so happy share the museum with Room 122! It was exciting for me to be part of your day and see the museum through your thoughtful eyes. You are amazing kids.

7. Jane Skinner says:

You made the museum seem so exciting. Now I want to go!

8. Kristin Dulay says:

What a great experience for all the children! How fortunate they all are to have been able to enjoy such an amazing part of Winnipeg. Thank you to all the volunteers and Mrs. Thomas for making this possible!